Press "Enter" to skip to content

Denny McCarthy latest to test positive for coronavirus



Denny McCarthy became the latest PGA Tour player to test positive for coronavirus. He withdrew from the Travelers Championship on Friday.

The 27-year-old Virginia product joins Cameron Champ, who tested positive on Tuesday, Nick Watney, who tested positive last Friday at the RBC Heritage, and caddies Ken Comboy and Ricky Elliot, who are all self-isolating for 10-14 days, per Tour regulations.

McCarthy issued a statement initially to Golf Channel that he woke up in the middle of the night feeling  “sore and achy.”

“I was feeling pretty tired and sore after the round yesterday but didn’t think much of it because I had practiced a lot Monday to Wednesday,” McCarthy said in a Tour release. “Then I woke up in the middle of the night feeling more sore and achy and sensed something was off. I felt like the only thing to do was get tested at that point before I went to the course.”

McCarthy shot 3-under 67 on Thursday, and was in a group with England’s Matt Wallace and Bud Cauley that was scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m.

McCarthy’s caddie, Derek Smith, tested negative on Friday. Wallace and Cauley both tested negative, but while Wallace planned to continue in the tournament, Cauley elected to withdraw. He texted Golf Channel “just being cautious, not because of a positive test.” Both of their caddies, David McNeill (Wallace) and Matt Hauser (Cauley) also tested negative.

In a Tour release, Cauley said, “I’m very thankful I have tested negative but have decided to withdraw out of an abundance of caution for my peers and everyone involved with the tournament.”

A total of 16 additional tests were or will be administered on Friday, according to the Tour; thus far, McCarthy is the lone positive.

PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan announced on Wednesday a series of adjustments to its health and safety plan and reiterated in a letter sent to players that morning that the policies must be enforced.


Leaderboard | Tee timesHow to watch | Best photos


“All of us have an extraordinary responsibility to follow those protocols,” Monahan said. “For any individual who doesn’t, there will be serious repercussions.”

Watney was the first confirmed player to be infected with the virus since golf resumed after a 91-day hiatus at the Charles Schwab Championship on June 11. Watney experienced symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and tested positive in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Former U.S. Open champions Graeme McDowell and Brooks Koepka withdrew from the Travelers on Wednesday morning because their caddies, Ken Comboy and Ricky Elliot respectively, had tested positive. Both caddies and McDowell attended a funeral in Orlando last Monday before heading to the RBC Heritage. Koepka’s brother, Chase, who qualified for the tournament on Monday, also withdrew despite testing negative.

“I’m going to pull out to protect everybody else. I think it’s the right thing to do,” Brooks Koepka said. “I don’t want to risk anyone’s life if they have respiratory issues or underlying conditions. The only way this Tour can continue is if guys do this sort of thing and be proactive about it.”

Koepka appeared to be strictly adhering to the Tour’s guidelines, stating that his team was on “lockdown,” and that he traveled with his own chef and brought his own gym equipment. Nevertheless, a member of his inner circle tested positive.

Webb Simpson, who won the RBC Heritage last week, tested negative twice but withdrew citing a family member who had tested positive.

Monahan said that no players tested positive this week at the Korn Ferry Tour’s Utah Championship.

In all, 2,757 players, caddies and officials had been tested with seven positive tests during the past three weeks. He refused to give a specific number of positive tests that would lead him to cancel a tournament or reconsider the upcoming schedule of events.

“We need to use these developments as a stark reminder for everyone involved as we continue to learn from an operational standpoint,” Monahan said.

“I think we’re trying to do our best out here to mitigate the risk but at the end of the day it’s impossible to mitigate 100 percent of the risk,” McDowell said. “The bubble is speculative at best. It’s hard for the Tour, even with all their resources, to control everyone all the time.”

Monahan commended McCarthy for requesting an additional test before heading to the golf course.

“What Denny, Bud and others are demonstrating is exactly what we asked of everyone – continue to do your part in taking this virus seriously and keeping not only your own health as a priority, but also that of your fellow competitors and those you may come in contact with,” Monahan said. “Today’s update again demonstrates our rigorous and quick testing, contact tracing capabilities and overall healthy and safety protocols. We will continue to liaise directly with local and state government and health officials this week and throughout our return to golf.”





Source link

Adrian Woody
Adrian Woody Author
Contributor At Industry News Blog

Having the apt skills to play with words to put forth various updates and news relating to the field of technology in an interesting way has made Adrian is a contributor in our organization. He is dedicated to writing articles related to all the up-to-the-minute inventions, launches, updates, and much more happening in the world of technology. In his free time, Adrian offers a guest lecture to kids about the latest inventions.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *