Sports Pulse: Dan Wolken on what to expect from this years Kentucky Derby
The 146th running of the Kentucky Derby will take place Saturday from Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, and will be televised by NBC. Post time is scheduled for 7:02 p.m. ET.
Tiz the Law is the heavy morning-line favorite, opening at 3-5. The Barclay Tagg-trained thoroughbred is unbeaten in 2020, including impressive wins at both the Travers and Belmont Stakes.
Art Collector, who was expected to be Tiz the Law’s biggest challenger, was scratched on Tuesday. Since the draw Wednesday, two more horses — King Guillermo and Finnick the Fierce — have also been scratched, bringing the expected field to 16.
Honor A.P., with Mike Smith aboard, enters the day as the second favorite at 5-1. Authentic, trained by the legendary Bob Baffert, enters at 8-1.
Triple Crown?* Should there be an asterisk if Tiz the Law wins it?
In a departure from previous years, the Derby will be the second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown. The Preakness Stakes, scheduled for next month at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, will be the final leg.
Kentucky Derby post time
The post time for the race is scheduled for 7:02 p.m. ET.
TV and streaming info
Coverage from Churchill Downs begins at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC and NBCSports.com.
Odds for the field
Post position, horse, trainer, jockey, morning-line odds
1. Finnick the Fierce, Rey Hernandez, Martin Garcia, 50-1 (scratched)
2. Max Player, Steve Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr., 30-1
3. Enforceable, Mark Casse, Adam Beschizza, 30-1
4. Storm the Court, Peter Eurton, Julien Leparoux, 50-1
5. Major Fed, Greg Foley, James Graham, 50-1
6. King Guillermo, Juan Carlos Avila, Samy Camacho, 20-1 (scratched)
7. Money Moves, Todd Pletcher, Javier Castellano, 30-1
8. South Bend, Bill Mott, Tyler Gaffalione, 50-1
9. Mr. Big News, Bret Calhoun, Gabriel Saez, 50-1
10. Thousand Words, Bob Baffert, Florent Geroux, 15-1
11. Necker Island, Chris Hartman, Miguel Mena, 50-1
12. Sole Volante, Patrick Biancone, Luca Panici, 30-1
13. Attachment Rate, Dale Romans, Joe Talamo, 50-1
14. Winning Impression, Dallas Stewart, Joe Rocco Jr., 50-1
15. Ny Traffic, Saffie Joseph Jr., Paco Lopez, 20-1
16. Honor A.P., John Shirreffs, Mike Smith, 5-1
17. Tiz the Law, Barclay Tagg, Manny Franco, 3-5
18. Authentic, Bob Baffert, John Velazquez, 8-1
Having the apt skills to play with words to put forth various updates and news relating to the field of technology in an interesting way has made Adrian is a contributor in our organization. He is dedicated to writing articles related to all the up-to-the-minute inventions, launches, updates, and much more happening in the world of technology. In his free time, Adrian offers a guest lecture to kids about the latest inventions.